This is the extent of our wildlife viewing...bison (up) and prairie dogs (down). Actually, we spotted a moose as we were leaving the park, but there was no time to stop for a picture. Every bathroom we went into warned us of the dangers of getting too close to the bison...but an entire family of bison was just hanging out by the cars on our way back from the geyser walk...I would have posted the picture of the baby bison but, frankly, it was pretty ugly (and I am hesitant to post pictures of ugly babies on here because I am trying to convince Dan that all babies are cute...). Our goal for the trip was to see a bear...and I would have been content with bear cubs. But no matter how much food we left outside our camper, we didn't see a single one...
Almost every night of the trip, we made s'mores...yum. I could go for one right now! At several of the campsites we were taken over by bugs, so we had to make our s'mores quickly...and before it got dark (because the really scary bugs come out after dark). Below, you can see Dave, Mark, and Dan toasting away.
We tried several different techniques to make the perfect s'more...specifically focusing on getting the chocolate to melt. We started by placing the graham cracker with chocolate on it on the grill over the coals...this technique worked very well to melt the chocolate (a little TOO well, if you ask me...) but it often burned the cracker a little, as well as a few of our fingers when trying to retrieve it off the grill. After several other failed attempts, I discovered my favorite technique. I call it the "Double Decker"...you take a graham cracker and toasted marshmallow on it...then put some chocolate on that while you work on toasting your second marshmallow, which you then place on top of the chocolate, then top it off with a graham cracker...this way the chocolate melts, but does not get sooooo melty that it drips onto your shoes (or pants, or belly...not that I have any experience with that sort of thing...). Below, you will see a picture of Dan's final attempt at making the ultimate s'more. At first, we were calling it the "Widow Maker", but it's official name now is "The Vacation Ender".


Thanks again Mark and Lisa! What a fun trip!
1 comment:
Thanks for the belated updates. :-)
Dad Czech
Post a Comment