Saturday, January 1, 2011

Top 10 of 2010

10) Jorden's new calling in the Young Women's Presidency. Despite finding out about the calling during sacrament meeting when my name was read over the pulpit and having much less time to spend with my family, I really enjoy it.

9) Our first garden. Technically, this was our practice garden, to see how well things would grow. But we had an abundance of tomatoes, peppers, beans and cucumbers this year. Zucchini...not so much. Next year we hope to grow some berries on the hill...

First cucumber of the year.

8) Christmas 2010. If you forget about P getting a pretty severe bloody nose, Jorden getting called into work and spending a good chunk of the day at the hospital doing the thing she hates most about her job, and the car breaking down on the way home...it was a pretty good holiday. We love that P was able to open his presents and really enjoy the holiday. And I got some great ideas for family traditions this year, which I am super excited about.

7) First Mother's Day/Father's Day. These days were more important to me this year, not because we are parents for the first time but because it has made me appreciate my own parents more. I was talking with a coworker about her mother's expectations on Mother's Day (expensive presents and praise) and I thought about how my parents never wanted anything more than a clean house from us (which is really hard to give them when I live so far away). From now on, I think these days will actually be about feeling grateful for loving parents...and I guess it took having a child for me to get to that point. On a different note, Dan and I both received super awesome gifts from our little one...but that's not the point, right?

6) Dan winning the Men's League Championship. To ensure that he was able to golf AT LEAST once a week, Dan joined a men's league at our local golf course with a couple of friends. They golfed every Tuesday morning before work and had different competitions with other league members each week. And at the end of the season, there was a tournament...and Dan won! Ok, let me rephrase that...Dan won the Net Championship (which takes into account each member's handicap), but still, that is pretty impressive. PGA here he comes! AND he won enough to buy a punch pass that pays for his golf for next year.

5) 5-year anniversary. Yep, we've been married for 5 years. And to celebrate, we did this. We are super grateful to Dan's parents for spending the weekend with P. We know they had a great time with him (who wouldn't, he IS super fun), and it is nice to know that we can take a break from the real world .

4) P's blessing. It was great to have both sides of the family together to participate in P's baby blessing. We were only missing both my brothers. This was the first time P got to meet his Nana and Papa and Aunt Jen, and it was a special experience for all of us.
3) BEST. BIRTHDAY. EVER. For my 30th, Dan threw me a surprise party and flew in my BFF for the week. It was the best, and I was definitely surprised. I can't WAIT to see what he has planned for this year!
We miss you Shoshie!
2) Visit from the Cavanaugh's. I am so glad Nana, Papa, and Jen were able to come out for two weeks this last summer. Not only did we get an incredible new bathroom out of the deal, but they were all able to see P's fun personality. P really enjoyed waking Aunt Jen up every morning...
and helping Papa work with his tools...

and playing with Nana.

He can't wait to see them again this year!
1) Having P in our family for an entire year. It has been so much fun watching P grow and change. He is such a character. Since he was born, P has been intrigued with everything going on around him. He always wanted to be held so that he was facing the world because he did not want to miss a thing. Now, he is still our little Curious George, getting into anything and everything you could possibly think of. Our house is always a mess, but it is so fun to watch him try to figure things out...he is such a problem solver! I can't wait to see what the next year will bring!

2 comments:

Julia said...

Such a great post. Lots of firsts for this year. How fun!! Your little P has you wrapped around his little finger (even when he's covered in chocolate). :)

Grandpa Czech said...

I will agree that it was a fun year with Payton.. He is a smart, curious, tough, rambunctious, happy little guy.. We enjoyed the times he got to spend nights with us, so we could get some quality time with him.