Wednesday, June 24, 2009

In case you haven't heard...

I recently got my hair cut! What do you think?

Yes, I know...I look like I am under the influence in this picture. But really, I'm just tired...

Ok, that was probably not the news many of you wanted to be reading about, so here it is...We are having a baby! We tried to keep it a secret there for a while, but SOME people (who shall remain nameless...but you know who you are, SMK!) made every attempt possible to tell everyone we know about this baby. In case you haven't heard the details, we are having a boy and he is due on October 15th. That means right now I am in the 23rd week which is a good way into the second trimester.

Let me tell you 10 things I LOVE about being an incubator...

1) I LOVE receiving daily notifications from the What to Expect website...they really keep me up to date on what is going on in my uterus. For example, today I learned that the baby's face is almost completely formed, and he can hear not only me but all sorts of things going on around me. I have been making it a point to sing every day in my car so the baby can get to know my voice (and so that when he is young he will think I'm the best singer ever and should be on American Idol...). I specifically like the produce analogies...I believe my baby is currently the size of a large squash (not the State Fair kind of squash, just a normal large squash...).

2) I LOVE that after the first 14 weeks I no longer felt sick every day, so now I can enjoy eating again! However, I could really do without the heartburn...

3) I LOVE that I can finally tell people "No, I'm not just getting chubbier...there's a baby in there!"...I've been wanting to say that for years!

4) I LOVE that Dan cooks dinner every night...I know this is partially because I get home so late from work but I also know that it is partially because I am carrying his love child...

5) I LOVE that when we moved into our new house, we found a PLETHORA of baby products (including a crib, changing table, toddler bed, and an assortment of baby boy clothes), and now we can use them all! This house just keeps on giving!

6) I LOVE reading about all the things I should and should not be doing while pregnant...and I love when the information I read is actually useful! Here is an example: How many of you know what Fifth Disease is? I didn't either. I read about it in a baby book and shared all my new knowledge with my spouse, who immediately reminded me that I am a hypochondriac and that it is not helpful for me to read about all these diseases because they just freak me out. Just for your information, it is the fifth of the childhood skin rashes (including scarlet fever, rubella, and measles, among others) and often causes spontaneous abortions in pregnant women. The week after reading about this disease, I went to work and found out that one of my clients had Fifth Disease...what is the chance of that happening!?!?!? Honestly, if I had not read about this, I would have just gone to the child's home and been infected! My baby boy has had his first near death experience!

7) I LOVE that I am not really craving anything sweet. Dan is not too thrilled about this...he was hoping that my cravings would result in numerous weekly trips to get soft serve ice cream for the both of us. Unfortunately for him, I just want fruits! The reason I'm glad I don't want sweets is that I am hoping this will help me keep my weight down, stop me from getting gestational diabetes, keep my baby from weighing 13 pounds when he's born, and keep him from wanting sweet things (so that I can keep them all to myself!)

8) I LOVE that I can blame my mood swings and bipolar behavior on the fact that "I'm PREGNANT!" SOME people might say that I am really mean these days...especially after 10:00pm...and that I am more demanding and less appreciative. None of those things are true...I am actually very pleasant between the hours of 8:00am and 6:00pm...unfortunately, all those hours are spent with my coworkers so SOME people don't get to see my pleasant side...

9) I LOVE feeling little kicks in my lower abdomen. So far they are not annoying me...they just help me to know he's still alive in there and very active. He's kicking more and more every day...now I just want Dan to feel these kicks, but so far no luck.

10) I LOVE that Dan tells me all the time to relax and not overdo it...isn't that sweet? Sometimes I still overdo it a little (because my stupid yard needs weeding every single day of my life...).


13 comments:

Matt said...

Wooo hooo!!! Baby boys rock! We're in the hospital right now (she's got the pitosin IV going, and things are ramping up)

Anonymous said...

That's my grandson! What a handsome image he makes. I can't wait to meet him in person....let the spoiling begin!! :)

Grandpa (almost) Czech

anne said...

I'm so excited for you! I love baby boys.

Mama Thompson said...

Thank you for finally sharing the fantastic news...LOVE your Love list...

Cassie said...

Yea!! I'm happy to see positive pregnancy posts. Don't think I ever got there!!

Stacie said...

Jorden! I am so excited for ya'll. That is awesome. Congrats.

Tia Langston said...

Cannot tell you how excited we are! And Dan will be glad to get a little slack from people now too, I'm sure. In fact, I think he did a great job....the baby already looks like him! Congrats! Congrats! And can't wait to get together with you guys soon for a BBQ and catch up. I'm thinking the middle of July...18? Let me know.

emi. said...

i love the photograph! so beautiful!

~*Jenkypoo*~ said...

I don't see anything that proves he is male. Maybe you'll get lucky and he will have absorbed a twin halfway into his body. That would be pretty much awesome.

Your loving sister,

*Jen

~*Jenkypoo*~ said...

Oh and maybe he will be 14 pounds thanks to your high fiber fruit cravings ;) He looks pretty big and if he's kicking already you're prolly in some trouble. Just pray his head is the size of a grapefruit regardless of his Cavanaugh hips.

Again your loving sister,

*Jen

U Pesci Fet d'a Testa said...

What a GREAT pic! He looks perfect from here! I LOVED LOVED LOVED being pregnant...enjoy every moment together before your little bundle of trouble gets here, because you will never get a free moment together again!! ;) Congrats, you two!

Beej said...

We are so excited for you guys. The nice things about being pregnant sound really nice. I would like to have an excuse to be lazy or not work too hard. But, alas, I am just flawed. I think that Spencer is super jealous of you two and of Toby & Karissa. He can't wait to be a dad. Me either. I hope that we can come and see him in January.

Tatia said...

Jordan! I didn't know you got your haircut! It is so cute! How is AF treating you? And to answer your question about Texas Jam, the only differences are, it was made in Texas and has bandana material on it. Impressive, don't you think? Love the blog! Keep updating!