Thursday, July 24, 2008

AZ Trip: Day 1

Soon after graduating from college, several of my friends started moving away. We wanted to keep in touch and actually see each other again, so we initiated an "Annual Girls Weekend". Year after year girls kept getting married and moving farther and farther away, so our "Girls Weekends" have evolved into just a few of us getting together...but they are still a blast. So far we have only held them in AZ and UT, but we hope to make it out to Nebraska and the greater DC area to make it a little more accessible for the girls we miss. This year, Sho and I drove down to AZ to visit Anne and her fam over the Pioneer Day weekend. We left at 4am on Thursday morning so that we would have time to play once we got there. Little did we know that there would be a horrendous traffic jam right outside of Lake Powell! Luckily the vans in front of us were highly entertaining...but it was still no fun sitting in the hot sun when we just wanted to get down to AZ!
As soon as we arrived at Annie's house, we went swimming and I was able to debut my new suit. A highlight of the trip was overcoming my hatred of being in a swimsuit...because I looked HOT! Unfortunately there are no pics of me in my cute suit, so you will all just have to take my word for it! Our next stop was Agritopia. Several months ago for Book Club we took a suggestion from Anne and read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle"... an autobiographical story of a family who decided to eat only locally grown foods for an entire year. Ever since that time, we have become slightly obsessed with seeking out locally grown foods from our local farmers markets. In their search for the best locally grown foods, they found Agritopia...a GIGANTIC farm that runs 3 restaurants as well as a HUGE farmers market (which was unfortunately closed for the summer...only in AZ!). We ate at Joe's Farm Fresh Grill, and it was very tasty. I had a tuna steak sandwich (weird, I know...but I really like fish!). Below is a picture of my meal:

And here are the lovely ladies of the Annual Girls Weekend:
And below you will see a picture of the bathrooms at Agritopia. I had to take this picture because Sho told me all about these bathrooms and the "collector's items"...that's right ladies and gentlemen, those are Barbie dolls on display in the bathroom. There was also a television over the urinal...weird.

3 comments:

anne said...

Wow! Who is that baby in the picutre? She is the cutest baby I have ever seen!

anne said...

Jo you really did look HOT in your swimsuit. Grrr.

Shoshanah said...

One should note that cute litte Mary is the only girl not attempting to put food in her mouth for the picture! That's how she stays so slim!