For the past four years, Dan has been playing softball on a city league each summer with some coworkers and friends. The summer that he started playing was the summer we got engaged and I was the only non-wife who would come to watch...and I was also one of the very few that was not pregnant. Dan usually plays catcher because he rocks at it...he makes plays at home plate on a regular basis, and has the battle scars to prove it. This year Dan's team got new jerseys, which we believe are lucky (and lucky clothes can not be washed until the season is over...so we have a bag full of sweaty jerseys...gross). In addition, Dan has been playing first base for the majority of this season, and he has been a part of a number of double plays. Here is Dan at first base:

During the first three seasons, Dan's team was
ok...I would go every week and cheer them on, but with very little hope that they would actually win any games really, so when they did win a game, it was really something to cheer about. One of my favorite things about Dan playing softball is that he doesn't get upset when his team doesn't win...he is more worried about how he does personally, so as long as he gets a couple of good hits and a couple of good plays in, he is satisfied (win or lose). This season, however, has been a little different...because the team has been doing GREAT! They have lost a few times to those teams that are semi-professional and hit
home runs every other at-bat...but they have given every team a run for their money. We attribute their success to the new jerseys...and I guess the team has improved in skill over the years. Dan still has one more week of the current season, four possible play-off games in one day. I'm so proud of my hubby! This next season they are going to play on a co-ed team so that Dan's female coworkers can play...so we are probably going back to the drawing board. But I'm still planning to go to all the games, because I am practicing to be the ultimate soccer/football/baseball/volleyball/ golf/basketball mom. GO TEAM!!!!
3 comments:
I also loved to watch Danny play as he was growing up. He has always played with integrity and wanted to just get better for himself. Way to go! i am proud of my son!!!
That's my boy! He has always loved sports. As a young boy, he once corrected our home teacher as to which team Wade Boggs played for. He has always had the passion.
I haven't even made it to the Blog List yet? What's up with that?
Oh, and in a post-related comment: I haven't played softball since I was a priest on the YM team back in New Mexico. I do kind of miss it though. I was the pitcher.
Oh, and there is a link to Landon Sherwood's blog on mine, FYI
Post a Comment